Click twice on the play button above to hear the audio.
The blue line on this progress map shows the Adventure Cycling Southern Tier route I initially planned to take. The green line shows my actual route including a few little diversions.
Day 38 - April 29
On day 38, I biked 66 miles of the Walking Lawton Chiles Highway to Little Talbot Island on the Atlantic Ocean, where we camped for the night. Lawton Chiles, a democrat and lawyer, who served in the Florida State Senate, decided to run for the United States Senate in 1970. He was largely unknown and to generate media coverage, he embarked upon a 1003 mile, 91-day walk across Florida. The walk earned him recognition and his nickname Walking Lawton and he easily was elected. In 1991 he was elected Governor of Florida and he served two terms.
Day 39 - April 30
On day 39, I biked 36 miles from Little Talbot Island, FL to St. Augustine, FL. The ride took me along the Coastal Highway along the Atlantic Ocean, and I had a dedicated bike lane to ride on all the way.
St. Augustine street with original buildings.
Ponce de Leon arrived here in 1513, in search of the Fountain of Youth, which he believed he had found in St. Augustine. The archeological site of the spring still exists. When he arrived and saw a land covered with wild flowers, it reminded him of his native Spain, and he called the land "La Florida".
The oldest, documented dwelling from the early 1600s.
Another original dwelling from the early 1600s.
A typical St. Augustine family home of today.
SAG man wants to go school in this original, wooden, one-room school house dating from 1750.
Old slave auction market.
Formerly the Ponce de Leon hotel from the 1800s, built by Henry Flagler, and now a college named after him. He was a key figure in the development of Eastern Florida along the Atlantic Coast.

2 comments:
congratulations! What an incredible accomplishment and experience while fund raising for a worthy cause!
One the the dwellings from the 1600's in Florida has definitely the "imprints" of Europe!
It was fun being an "arm chair biker"
Eva
I am impressed and in awe of your stamina, interest, strength and passion. I thoroughly enjoyed following your trip and seeing the places you visited through your eyes and with your subtle sense of humor (i.e. the road signs for animals). I also found your notes about the local history very interesting and informative.
All in all this very personal blog was exciting and wonderful to follow and I am glad to know you! This endeavor encourages me to realize MY big dreams.
Jacqueline Thalberg
Post a Comment